Wednesday, August 4, 2010

#12 - It Pays to Advertise.



When we opened our first retail location, we were bombarded with reps wanting us to advertise with them.  We hadn't learned to say no yet and as a result, ended up with hundreds of ads in various obscure locations.  I still remember my partner shaking her head disapprovingly when she found out I had put us in the Russian magazine.  Customers would come in and we couldn't understand a word they said lol.  We did find a few things that worked for us, including the local Metro newspaper. 

One of the first things to get cut during tough times is advertising.  We stopped advertising almost 2 years ago.  It came down to, should we put an ad in, or pay the rent? Should we put an ad in, or buy stock?  Ad, or phone bill?  The ad never won, and the months just flew by.  This month I decided to start advertising again.  I'm always surprised by the number of customers who come in and who have never heard of us after 4 years.  So, I made a few calls and placed a few ads and so far the response has been amazing.  It really does pay to advertise!

1 comment:

  1. Advertising is really needed for every business such as yours. Plus Size industry is booming in the internet. I hope to see your collections.

    ReplyDelete